Last night, 25 to 30 mph winds swept through the area, with gusts even higher. Just a few days ago severe thunderstorms brought hail, rotation and gusts of up to 80 miles an hour. Spring in East Texas is beautiful, but it’s also the time for extremely severe weather. In East Texas, wind damage to roofing is one of the most common types of home repairs needed. Here’s what you need to know if you own property in Tyler, Whitehouse, Longview, Bullard or the surrounding area.
Check Roofing After Storms
Once it’s safe to go outside, evaluate your roofing, siding and gutters. Here’s a quick checklist.
- Climb in your attic with a flashlight. Examine the entire underside for leaks or water damage. If you have wind damage to roofing, this is one of the first places it will show up.
- Outside, use binoculars to inspect your roof from one side to the other. Look for missing shingles or any that are broken, split or curled.
- Look carefully at your chimney. You shouldn’t see missing bricks or damaged flashing. Also, make sure the wind didn’t knock your chimney cap askew.
- Walk all the way around and look at your gutters. Did any come loose? Are they free of debris or did the wind fill them with leaves and twigs?
- Do a soffit and fascia checkup.
- Check your home’s siding. If some was blown loose, your roofing materials might have been also.
Use Your Homeowner’s Insurance
If you find evidence of wind damage, don’t put off calling an expert. It’s going to rain again before the end of the week, so our window for making repairs is small. And really, there’s no reason to delay since most insurance policies cover wind damage.
If you have wind damage, your insurance company is obligated to either repair or replace the roof. They’ll decide what to do based on which costs less. If you’re concerned about filing a claim, at Advantage Roofing we’re always here to help.
Watch Out For Wind Damage Storm Chasers
After a storm, sometimes teams move into an area and offer roofing services. They’re not always from East Texas. When homeowners hear they have wind damage, they feel a sense of urgency. They also think the storm chasing roofing scammers are being helpful when they’re not. If they’re not a local, reputable roofing company, there’s nothing to stop them from taking your money and keeping it. If they do a poor job, you may not be able to find them when you need to make repairs.
At Advantage Roofing, we’ve been providing roof repair and roof replacement in Tyler and Dallas for years. If you suspect wind damage, give us a call. We’ll perform a free inspection for you, explain what we found, help explore your options and provide the information you need for insurance. Schedule your no-obligation inspection today.